ABB System 800xA feature update emphasizes total plant collaboration
Feature Pack 4 assists the most important variable in process control - the peopleVästerås, Sweden, April 11, 2013
– ABB has announced the availability of Feature Pack 4 for its flagship Extended Automation System 800xA. Feature Pack 4 continues to enhance collaboration between people, systems and equipment to help reduce unplanned shutdowns, increase asset utilization and increase energy efficiency in industrial production facilities.
More efficient operator collaboration
Many features included in this update add to System 800xA’s focus on increasing operator effectiveness and visualization, inside the control room and out:
· Four standardized, pre-packaged Extended Operator Workplaces (EOW) that include all of the necessary hardware and software make it easier to create high performance local and remote control centers.
Easier system engineering
· A mobile client configuration guide and tablet workplace facilitates flexible collaboration between the field and control rooms, while ensuring safe and secure operations.
· Additional graphic elements were added to 800xA’s industry leading MS WPF graphics editor, making it easier to create a high performance environment for improved situation awareness.
· An embedded video system and CAD drawing viewer help increase visibility and enhance decision support.
· An “Alarm Help” feature has been added to an already strong alarm management portfolio, providing operators easy access to valuable instructions as well as the ability to enter and review input from other operators.
Feature Pack 4 makes it easier to create and configure a collaborative environment:
· Virtualized clients are now available in addition to all other system nodes, helping to minimize the labor involved with installation, setup and maintenance of operator and engineering client nodes.
The latest best practices, safety and security
· A new, easy-to-use, diagram editor for process and safety applications makes it easier to engineer and debug control applications.
· Libraries for both Intelligent Electrical Devices (IED) and TUV certified Machine Safety were added to help reduce engineering and commissioning time.
Facility safety and security are, as always, a high priority for ABB and System 800xA:
· An application change management option has been added and stores several versions of configuration data, allows for difference reporting and more, making the organization and tracking of engineering changes easier.
Diversified integration options
· Industrial Defender connectivity and SE46 Whitelisting functionality have been added to help mitigate the risk of cyber threats.
· Updates have been made to 800xA’s unique Load-Evaluate-Go (LEG) feature to report on Inter-Application variables (IAC). 800xA’s LEG supports evaluating application changes online, using actual process inputs before they “go live” and affect outputs to the field.
New I/O modules and connectivity additions provides more options when communicating with field equipment:
· Ethernet IP and UDP/IP communication interfaces have been added to the already long list of Ethernet based communication interfaces that includes: PROFINET, FF HSE, MODBUS TCP and IEC61850. This allows for smoother integration with PLCs and other devices.
· Four new high density S800 I/O modules and corresponding modular termination units (MTUs) help to optimize cabinet space.
The Feature Pack concept is a different way to release new additions to the already feature rich 800xA. Instead of releasing a full revision every 18 months users with a valid subscription for Automation Sentinel Maintain Plus - ABB's control system lifecycle support program -
can obtain features as they become available. This allows for end-users to customize their road forward with 800xA, fitting their approach to specific projects, upgrades, and applications.
“Feature Pack 4 includes improvements and features that help operators collaborate effectively with each other and with the systems and equipment they monitor,” says Jonas Brannvall, Extended Automation Global Product Group Manager. For more information on System 800xA, visit http//:www.abb.com/800xA